RAC 10G for different companies with one shared database and label security

  • From: Joop Gijsbers <jg_dba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 19:31:20 +0200

hi all,

My company is asked to make a proposal for an ERP application for several small business companies who uses this application.

the situation now is that those companies each have a single database (9.2.0.8) on the same node.

In the new situation it will be be 1 or 2 10G release 2 RAC Clusters with each one " shared" database. Oracle Label security must assure that on row level the different companies can not use each other's data.

I am examining three questions:

- is Oracle Label Security an absolute, garantueed, method that different companies using the same database/schema, not can see each others data? My company has as far as i know no experience met Label Security, so therefore is ask here for experiences;

- is there any argument for two clusters above one clusters with 2/3/4/n instances?; i don't see them, concerning avalaibility, scalablity, or other, but maybe i overlook something;

- can i use the the "services" concept in 10G RAC to force a bit of a flexible way of loadbalancing (company A and B uses instance 1, coampany C and D uses instance 2, company Eand F uses instance 3, etc.. and flexible, that i can change that when company C uses more resources at moment x...

Thanks,

Joop Gijsbers