Re: Quick way to drop all objects in a schema

  • From: Michael Fontana <michael.fontana@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: stbaldwin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 14:49:20 -0600 (CST)

It's not often a problem,  but dropping objects in this manner can be
inefficient ( I can recall waiting on numerous fet$ deletes) and could be
difficult to recover from should it fail.

Dropping a user "cascade" utilizes Oracle code and will be consistent AND
complete from release to release.  Writing a script such as this may not work
when new object types or behaviors come into existence in Oracle 12, 13 etc.

I also don't like the idea of passively leaving links or other objects assumed
to be valid in a schema;  why not just recreate needed objects properly, and
exclude the rest.  This avoids the chance that a new one was created in the
source, but unwanted in the target.  It's also more secure.

I would certainly be in favor of first cloning an existing user as a new one,
and then dropping the old, unless resources are unavailable to take such
action.