Re: Questions about using BIGFILE vs SMALLFILE

  • From: Alan Sterger <asterger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sbecker6925@xxxxxxxxx, Oracle-List <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 12:11:15 -0500

I use a hybrid approach for OLTP clients: maintain all Oracle tablespace datafiles as SMALLFILE and all customer tablespace datafiles as BIGFILE, both using 8K block size.

Reasoning: I've not yet seen Oracle tablespaces exceed the 8K block size maximum of 32 GB whereas, client tablespaces frequently exceed that size.  Therefore, I create all client schema tablespaces as BIGFILE because 1) I don't like the frozen database on write surprise and 2) ease of management (set-and-forget).

-- Alan Sterger