Re: Question re security

  • From: Adric Norris <landstander668@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 10:39:43 -0600

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 12:59 AM, Nuno Souto <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 1521 is the default Oracle listener port since the deluge.  Using that
> port is
> an open avenue for any hacker worth his/her salt to run a sniffer in a
> Linux node to get all Oracle pwds.
> First thing I do in any site I run is change the port to something else -
> which is NOT disclosed other than through tnsnames.
> Uh-huh, not with this mob.  1521 is "the recommended port" and that is
> what must be used.
> REALLY?

I'm not saying this isn't a valid opinion, and I've certainly seen it
expressed numerous times, but it only takes about 3 seconds for nmap (or
similar utilities) to identify the changed port. This might provide a small
amount of protection, against the fire-and-forget script kiddies, but is
unlikely to deter a motivated attacker in the slightest.

Enabling network encryption, on the other hand, can provide quite a bit of
protection against network sniffing.