Question re Database Duplication

  • From: William Wagman <wjwagman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 15:28:25 -0800

Greetings,

One of my databases is Oracle 10.2.0.3.0 SE running on 32-bit RHEL4. I am
building a new server running 64-bit RHEL4 and I will install Oracle 10.2.0.4.0
EE on this server. My goal is to move the existing database to the new server.
I am hoping to do this using the cloning feature of the OEM provisioning pack
and wondering if this will work smoothly. The concerns I have are

1) going from 32-bit to 64-bit
2) going from 10.2.0.3 to 10.2.0.4
3) going from SE to EE

I am pretty certain this isn't going to work, I don't believe OEM and RMAN have
the intelligence built in to make the changes and I suspect I will have to use
expdp/impdp but am just wondering if anyone has any further thoughts.
Unfortunately I don't have an environment in which to test this.

Thanks.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis
IET Campus Data Center