RE: Question on gc buffer busy waits

  • From: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx" <andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx>, "krishna.setwin@xxxxxxxxx" <krishna.setwin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 01:57:56 -0400

Totally agree w/ what Andrew said.  You are going to need to better
characterize the workload and the problem.

One other comment, regarding reverse key indexes.  They're probably better than
nothing, but, if you are licensing the partitioning option, you'll get far
better results by hash partitioning your indexes, rather than rebuilding as
reverse key.  If you do decide to hash partition, a few points to consider
would be:  you can hash partition indexes, even if the underlying table is not
partitioned, the number of hash partitions should always be a power of 2
(2,4,8,1,6,32, etc), and, a reasonable starting point for number of hash
partitions would be the minimum power of 2 that's greater than or equal to the
number of nodes in the cluster.

Hope that helps,

-Mark