Re: [Q] what difference between PK and unique index + not NULL??

  • From: Connor McDonald <hamcdc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 03:12:27 +0000 (GMT)

I think JL refers to unique constraints versus PK constraints, as opposed to
unique index.  I
haven't done any tests but I remember reading somewhere that some materialised
view rewrite
functionality depended on unique/pk *constraint* definition as opposed to
unique *index*

hth
connor

 --- Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 11:27:49 -0800, Jacques Kilchoer
> <Jacques.Kilchoer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > The Oracle optimizer might view a PK constraint differently than a
> > unique constraint on not null columns, one of the performance experts on
> > the list could probably say a word or two about that.
>
> http://www.dbazine.com/jlewis21.shtml
>
> Jonathan does not mention the optimizer, though it appears from
> the article that the CBO may consider a UK with NOT NULL as
> identical to a PK.
>
> --
> Jared Still
> //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l

=====
Connor McDonald
Co-author: "Mastering Oracle PL/SQL - Practical Solutions"
ISBN: 1590592174

web: http://www.oracledba.co.uk
web: http://www.oaktable.net
email: connor_mcdonald@xxxxxxxxx

Coming Soon! "Oracle Insight - Tales of the OakTable"

"GIVE a man a fish and he will eat for a day. But TEACH him how to fish,
and...he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"

http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com