Re: [Q] way to shrink temporary tablespace ??

  • From: stephen booth <stephenbooth.uk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidsharples@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 16:15:02 +0000

On 19/01/06, David Sharples <davidsharples@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> you have data beyond the 2Gb limit of the file, there is nothing to fix and
> it will stay like that as temporary tablespace segments just get reused.

I had the same problem, the temproary tablespace datafile had grown to
32Gb.  This was worrying as the database contained less than 3Gb of
actual data.  We eventually concluded (after looking at the sorts of
queries that were popping up in v$sql) that a lot of users were
running very unselective queries with sorts in them that meant that
virtually the entire database was being sorted repeatedly in many
rowsets.

In the long term the solution was to get the users trained to use the
app properly (i.e. use highly selective searches to get the relevant
results rather than highly unselective and manually seaching through
many pages of results to find the record they want).  Very
frustrating, i even blogged about it
(http://stephensorablog.blogspot.com/2005/12/almost-all-users-are-idiots.html).

> Create a new temporary ts then drop old one

What I did was create more datafiles, to the appropriate size, in the
same tablespace and then when the database was quiet offline the
problematic file and drop it.

> As for cold backup, no you dont need to back it up

That's my understanding.  Took a long time to convince the managers of
it though.

Stephen

http://stephensorablog.blogspot.com/