Production Database Problem - Software Caused Connection Abort

  • From: "Sam Bootsma" <sbootsma@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 10:24:05 -0400

AIX 4.3.3
Oracle 8.1.7.4

Hello,

We are intermittently encountering a problem where connections to our
database take 10 minutes or longer.  Once connected, everything runs
fine.  Running lsnrctl, then status takes 5 minutes.  Stopping the
listener takes about 10 minutes, so does starting the listener.  We are
under pressure to get this resolved.  This is our production database.
Shutting down the database and restarting helped on Friday afternoon,
but is not helping this morning.  We are doing a complete reboot of our
Unix operating system in the hopes that this will help resolve the
problem.

We have HACMP software on our AIX server, but at the present time the
fail over box is not available.  We think this might be the problem.

The Oracle alert log repeatedly reports the following error when we
encounter the problem:  "IBM/AIX RISC System/6000 Error: 72: Software
caused connection abort".  There are other listener errors, but this is
the original error that causes the other problems.  Oracle Support
believes this is an SNMP problem - they believe shutting down SNMP will
resolve the problem, but our research on the Lists shows somebody else
encountered this same problem and this did not resolve their issues.

Does anybody have tips on what the root cause to the problem might be?

Sam

sbootsma@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:sbootsma@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>