Platform Migration with Oracle Streams

  • From: Oracle Dba Wannabe <oracledbawannabe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 01:49:09 -0700 (PDT)

Hi All,
I was wondering whether anyone out there has been involved in a platform
migration project where streams was the technology used to ensure minimal down
time. If so I'd appreciate to hear back from you with respect to any issues or
experiences you had with the product. The database I am looking to migrate is
about 6TB and is a 10.2.0.4, 2 node RAC database using ASM. The platform
migration is from AIX to HP-UX, both being big endian I was planning on using
the rman covert database command (as documented in appendix c of the streams
admin and concepts guide) to instantiate the target database. A question I had
with respect to this was whether I could utilize the source database's (AIX)
physical standby to perform the convert database process? I mention this
because having to run the transportable database process (rman convert) on the
source still requires some down time as the database would be put in read only
mode during this process - even though all I
 require is the convert to run on undo and system - I still need to pull the
datafiles out of asm and copy them over to the target hp-ux site and plug them
back into asm.
That said, I dont see why i cannot substitute the physical standby database for
the rman convert part of the streams instantiation - it is essentially a
replica of the source.?
Appreciate any comments.
Regards
-Naqi