Re: Physicall to Logical

  • From: Sanjay Mishra <smishra_97@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 19:36:06 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks Carel

The requirement for LSB is for Reporting purpose and it is initially been
created as Physical standby as the Primary Hardware was not stable as well as
Database size is too big to be backed up on the Disk. Now we have got all issue
resolved and so thought of taking this database back to the LSB

Thanks Again for your views and suggestion
Sanjay
Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Sanjay,
Conversion between Standby types is non-existent. You have to drop the PSB,
and re-instantiate an LSB.
I don't know whether you are right or not, LSB is released with 9iR2, and
certainly isn't very stable.
I wouldn't rely on it for HA-purposes. For reporting, with restrictions in
mind about unsupported data- and objecttypes, the cost of additional
logging etcetera, it might help you.
Don't jump into solutions, but get your requirements for standby written
down properly first. Then determine whether a proposed solution will work.
And test!
You might consider (if space allows you) to have PSB as well as LSB. PSB
for HA, LSB for reporting.

Regards, Carel-Jan

===
===