RE: Performance problem in view joining UNION ALL three tables

  • From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tim@xxxxxxxxx" <tim@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2014 02:47:31 +0000

I loved the cleft stick that Oracle Marketing got caught in with partition
views vs. partitioned tables.

Sales pitch on partition views (7.0):
really great - one object in SQL but the optimizer can give you the best plan
for each table in the view.

Sales pitch on partition tables (8.0)
really great - you don't have to wait for the optimizer to work out a different
plan for each partition

Yes, partitioned tables are really great because they eliminate the really
great benefit that you got from partition views.

Regards
Jonathan Lewis
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com
@jloracle