Re: PLAN_TABLE gotcha in 10g

  • From: "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 22:18:05 +0100

Clearly someone from Oracle has been reading
my seminar notes - chapter 11 page 7 I think.

I think it great !!  Now if only they change
autotrace so it doesn't do the delete bit
and waste resources - and then, of course,
every time you do an explain plan there are
not stats on the table, so every report starts
with a dynamic sample.

And have you noticed when you trace
dbms_xplan, the query against the plan
table doesn't do a connect by any more -
it a pure procedural process, walking the
lines in order, so you can't figure out what
sneaky tricks are built into the plan table
content.

On the plus side, the plan table had to be
'on commit preserve rows' - so you can
copy it out before you end your session.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Optimising Oracle Seminar - schedule updated May 1st