Re: PGA Memory in 9i versus 10g

  • From: "Alexander Fatkulin" <afatkulin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: essawit@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 12:50:39 +1100

Tarik,

we do not use AIX but we did 9i->10GR2 upgrades on Linux, HP-UX and Solaris.

We noticed only one significant PGA memory management change - shared
servers can now use pga_aggreagte_target (however this can lead to a
situation where INACTIVE session can "steal" the shared server process
if that session touches the auto managed PGA memory without closing
the relevant cursor). So if you have shared servers and
pga_aggreagte_target set - you will experience different memory
allocation.

Apart from that everything else worked fine with the 9i PGA related
settings. You can also refer to 10G Upgrade Guide on the general "what
need to be changed" topic.

HTH.

On 4/14/07, Tarik Richard Essawi <essawit@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
All,

Does anyone know how memory usage in 10g differs from 9i in AIX 5.3.  We are
beginning the upgrade process and do not know if the memory needs will change
between versions.

I am most concerned with PGA memory, we found a memory leak in 9.2.0.6 that
caused some issues and we want to make sure we have adequate memory in 10g

Tarik

http://mail.yahoo.com

Alexander Fatkulin