Oracles network logging

  • From: Joel Slowik <jslowik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 19:07:51 +0000

Hello everyone,
We have a client on an 11.2.0.3 64-bit database on Windows server 2008. One of
their vendors, using SQLSERVER, is having an intermittent issue connecting to
the oracle database; their sqlserver program is sending a generic timeout
expired exception. We've reviewed the sqlnet log, alert log, listener.log, and
the audit trail for connections for this system. While we have found frequent
TNS 12535/12170 combinations from that server in the alert log and TNS
12518/12564 from the enterprise manager agent in the sqlnet log file, all of
those errors are unrelated to the specific instance that we're trying to track
down (as a side, we are investigating resolutions to those as well)

Now, here is our problem, since we cannot find any information in the alert
log, sqlnet log, listener.log, or the audit trail pertaining to the exact date
and time that this sqlserver tried, but failed, to connect, I'm personally left
with two thoughts: 1) SQLservers attempted connection didn't even make it to
the oracle database  or 2) there is another log out there somewhere that we are
not aware of.

I'm asking for your help on #2; are there any other logs that oracle keeps that
pertain to connections to the database?

I need to exhaust every possible corner of oracle before I can move on and
point to the network and/or firewall.

Thank you for any input you may be able to provide,
-joel slowik
Confidentiality Note: This electronic message transmission is intended only for
the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that
is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you have
received this transmission, but are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of
this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please contact Continuum Performance Systems at {203.245.5000} and
delete and destroy the original message and all copies.