RE: Oracle9i HP-UX PA-RISC to Oracle10g HP-UX Itanium based server

  • From: "Fahrenfort, Keith (HP Shared Solutions Architect for Oracle)" <keith.fahrenfort@xxxxxx>
  • To: hitender chugh <chughhk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 13:25:19 +0000

Hi Hiten, in summary/high-level steps, you would:
        review prerequisites - opsys and Oracle patches, etc,
        install the new Oracle binaries on the Integrity server,
        copy or move the DB files from the HP9000 to the Integrity server,
        modify the Oracle config files on the Integrity server,
        upgrade Oracle to 10gR2 on the Integrity server,
        recompile any Oracle natively compiled objects on the Integrity server,
        startup the DB on the Integrity server.

No exp/imp is required, as the Oracle datafiles are compatible between the two
platforms. If you are on 9.2.0.7 or later, you can do a hot migration.
Otherwise you will have to do a cold migration.

Oracle My Support/Metalink note 266220.1 (Migrating Oracle9iR2 from HP-UX for
PA-RISC to HP-UX for IPF) has some detail - please let me know if you need a
copy.

HP provide a detailed how-to white-paper here -
http://h71019.www7.hp.com/ActiveAnswers/library/GetPage.aspx?pageid=572978&statusid=0&audienceid=0&ccid=0&langid=121.

If your target is (ultimately) 11g and/or ASM, please let me know as I have a
newer draft/unposted version of the above that covers those.

I hope this helps! Regards,
________________________________

Please let me know if you prefer to not receive email from me.

Keith Fahrenfort
Solutions Architect - Hewlett Packard
Solution Design Services for Oracle
Shared Solutions Architecture
HP Americas Solution Architecture
keith.fahrenfort@xxxxxx
Email ssa@xxxxxx to reach our Team
http://www.hp.com/go/oracle

For HP's privacy policy and contact information, please see
http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/privacy.html