Re: Oracle10g running on Solaris Containers

  • From: Tanel Poder <tanel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mayen.Shah@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 01:00:53 +0800

If there are crashes, there usually are crashdumps (written by Oracle) or
coredumps (written by OS signal handlers).

So, you could check if you see any files in following directories:

1) /var/adm/crash
2) /var/cores
3) whatever is specified in Oracle's core_dump_dest param

Also run ulimit -a as your Oracle user to make sure that corefile sizes
haven't been set to 0:

tanel@solaris01:~$ ulimit -a
core file size          (blocks, -c) *unlimited*
open files                      (-n) 256
pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 10
stack size              (kbytes, -s) 10240
max user processes              (-u) 29995

If you find an OS-generated corefile, you can run pstack on it to see in
which functions the crash happened and put these functions into metalink or
send to support.

Without a corefile (or any logfile entries returning the signal/error code
why a process was forced to exit) its guesswork...

--
Tanel Poder
http://blog.tanelpoder.com

--