Re: Oracle standalone or Oracle RAC on VMWARE support

  • From: David Ramírez Reyes <dramirezr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: smishra_97@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 09:40:58 -0600

We have all out environment on virtual servers using VMWARE (by company's
decisions, all servers are virtualized for cost reasons).

We have 11 production db, on 3 different servers, all working 24x7x365; we
have been on this schema for more than 8 years (with Oracle 8i first, now
with Oracle 11g R2)

Since I joined this company (about 3 years ago), I have been trying to
convince people around to change to physical servers for the same reason
you mentioned (Oracle is not Certified on Virtualized environments) and
actually, when we have requested Oracle support, that's the first thing
they say as a first "justification" of any problem.

But until now, I haven't found a convinced reason for this change; we have
made tests on physical environments and compare metrics, and there's no
difference (not even a little), I still not feel comfortable with this
schema but I must recognize it works and works fine.

Some of the "pros" is the cost of HW of course, but also the maintenance
and workarounds of OS, server configuration is also easier (Server Team can
clone the production server to a new host in less than 4 hours -a Server of
600 GB size-)

On the "cons", am still not convinced about the functionality of
parallelism, split of datafiles, archivelogs and backups (at OS level they
are seen separated on different filesystems, but they are on a single
physical filesystem) and if you need to get some statistics of I/O or
Network traffic, it's kind of complicated, as resources are shared with
other servers (we have one physical server -CISCO- and about 5 virtual
servers on it -DB, App and Domain servers included on the list-

David Ramírez Reyes
Profesión: Padre de Familia