Re: Oracle on Opteron anyone?

  • From: Paul Drake <discgolfdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 15:57:54 -0800 (PST)

--- "Jesse, Rich" <Rich.Jesse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Has anyone used Oracle 9iR2 on an AMD Opteron?
> According to MetaLink, the
> "supported" status is currently "projected".
>
> The reason I'm asking is because of the new Sun Fire
> V20z.  <snip>
> TIA,
> Rich

Rich,

I'd love to pick up a PogoLinux box.
Unfortunately, I haven't kicked the tires on any of
the Opeteron boxes yet. As soon as HP can ship a demo
unit, a client site is getting ahold of one.
(Aleady got the RHEL 3.0 ES CDs burned).
I figured, what is the point of testing one, if it
doesn't have at least 2 CPUs and 4 GB of memory?

quite an interesting subject.
The lower memory latency is very attractive.
will likely blow away the 10,000 LOIs per 100 Mhz rule
of thumb.

Can you imagine (a beowulf cluster of) an Opteron
Laptop, say 2 quarters from now?

Paul