RE: Oracle multi-core CPU licensing model.

  • From: "Storey, Robert \(DCSO\)" <RStorey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 07:50:42 -0500

I feel your pain. We are looking at a hardware refresh internally and ran into
that same problem.

We are using Dell PowerEdge servers with Windows, so not sure if what we are
doing will work for you. But, Dell is able to provide us slightly older
processors that are only dual core, but still much newer and faster than the
dual cores we are running.  Not sure if Sparc can do this or not.

Unfortunately, there is not a lot of ways around it. I've had several
conversations with Oracle reps and they do not know of any change to Oracles
licensing structure coming up anytime soon.

I agree with Freek. If possible, I would consolidate databases if possible and
try to eliminate servers.