RE: Oracle linux vs RH Linux

  • From: "Stephens, Chris" <Chris.Stephens@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx" <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 09:53:25 -0500

Somewhat relevant to the discussion:

We are going through and fresh install of a 2 and 3 node 11GR2 RAC on OEL/UEK 6.

The oracleasmlib-2.0.4-1.el6.x86_64.rpm package is not available from any of
the ULN repositories that I could find and did not come pre-installed.  We had
to download from
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/linux/asmlib/ol6-1709075.html.
 That package was needed to get ASM working properly.  We wasted several hours
trying to figure that out.  I can dig up the bug # if anyone is interested.

The consultant helping us out said very few shops are running Oracle on OEL6 as
of yet.

The oracle validated rpm package is nice except it sets up the environment as
if everything is being installed under user oracle.  We chose to install Grid
Infrastructure under user grid so the package didn't end up saving us too much
time.

Chris