Re: Oracle and DRBD - a real HA alternative?

  • From: Martin Bach <development@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uwe@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 10:29:38 +0000

Uwe,

On 01/21/2010 03:57 PM, Uwe Küchler wrote:
Dear fellow oracle-l'ers,

Does anyone here have practical experience in running DRBD with Oracle
Server? Is it possible to create anything near to Data Guard
functionality with it? How would you implement a transparent application
failover? What about split-brain situations?

I don't know about DRDB, but I have implemented Oracle Clusterware to provide high availability (active/passive) for Oracle (10.2) databases. There's a good document along with scripts here:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/sample_code/products/rac/zip/sifo_action_scripts.zip

In addition you can always add Data Guard to such a configuration, other list members have posted about workarounds if you're using SE.

Hope this helps,

Martin
--
Martin Bach