Re: Oracle Software install for DR

  • From: Dave <david.best@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jpd40@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 13:05:38 -0400

I'm not sure if its supported but in the past I have put everything on
the SAN.   The main reason is so that I wouldn't have to worry about
maintaining two copies of the Oracle software.  Its very easy to
forget about it and then when you need it, your can't recover as
quickly.

A few years ago, at a previous company, we upgraded our app servers.
The old app server was almost as powerful as our db server and given
year end was coming up we decided to keep it around as a failover in
case something went wrong.  (The previous year we had hardware issues
causing alot of issues during year end and management was worried).

Since everything was on the SAN failover is pretty painless. All we
had to do was rename the secondary server (hostname, ip address),
attach the san, reboot it and startup the database.   Failover was
about 30 minutes.   Which was well under our SLA of 4 hrs.   Failback
was the same.. No worrying about synchronizing data or rebuilding
databases.  Granted this wasn't a distributed environment, but we were
focused on server failure only, not site.   We had a site DR plan.

When it comes to DR your options really boil down to business
requirements and SLA.  There's no need to design a complex DR process
if business doesn't need it.