RE: Oracle Hp OpenVMS

  • From: "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <smishra_97@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 13:21:32 -0400

Sanjay,

    OH DEAR, another headed for the DARK SIDE, well maybe GREY instead
of DARK.  OpenVMS is a real different beast from Unix. and yes the
commands are really different, painfully so IMHO, and I was a fan of DEC
VAX VMS at one time.

    First rub, one oracle account, one ORACLE_HOME.  Forget OFA.  Also
forget running the latest versions of Oracle as VMS is near the end of
their release list.  As for RAC I believe you'll need an OS account for
CRS as well as another for the database.  Not sure how it works beyond
that.  Installing software isn't that bad, but VMS does not have an
x-term environment so you have to set the display with "$ SET
DISPLAY/CREATE/TRANSPORT=TCPIP/NODE=workstation_name or IP_address".
And run an xterm server on your desktop/laptop.

    Once you've got everything installed & used DBCA to set up your
database, yes use DBCA  There are a number of OS related things that
DBCA does for you so that you can set your environment later.  Things
are pretty much like you'd expect in any database, except that VMS is
not case sensitive to system.dbf is the same as SYSTEM.DBF and
System.DBF, etc....

    You might find the following url very helpful:
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/83final/9996/9996pro_contents.html

    OH, BTW, forget cron.  It's submit with a lot of alphabet soup long
qualifiers thereafter and it lands in the DBA$BATCH queue.  And enjoy
learning DCL.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Lead
PAREXEL International