Re: Oracle Database 11.2 on RHEL 5.5 certification

  • From: "Radoulov, Dimitre" <cichomitiko@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Chitale, Hemant Krishnarao" <Hemant.Chitale@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2011 11:43:53 +0200

On 02/09/2011 11:34, Chitale, Hemant Krishnarao wrote:
> Funny.
> The documentation specifies Oracle Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel for RHEL 5
> Update 5
> but not for RHEL 5 Update 2 !!
> http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e16768/toc.htm#CIHFICFD
> and
> http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e16763/pre_install.htm#CHDFFBIF
>
> There's a note which says :
> Oracle Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel for Linux 5 Update 5 (2.6.32), available
> for x86-64 systems, contains several additional features and performance
> enhancements not available either with Oracle Linux or with other supported
> Linux distributions. This kernel can be installed on either Oracle Linux or
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux distributions. Before installing the Unbreakable
> Enterprise Kernel, you must have Oracle Linux 5 Update 5 or Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux 5 Update 5 installed on an x86-64 server.
> So if you "modify" the RHEL distribution with Oracle Unbreakable Enterprise
> Kernel,  whom do you call for OS support ? Redhat or Oracle ?
>
> I suggest that you login to support.oracle.com and check the Certification
> pages.

It states just:

Oracle Database 11.2.0.2.0 with Linux x86-64 Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5

For further details see Certification Information for Oracle Database on
Linux x86-64 (Doc ID 1304727.1).

Quotes from the note:

Certification Details for Specific Releases

11.2

OS versions and minimum levels:
[...]

Red Hat Enterprise 5 Update 2 and higher

[...]

See Oracle Database Installation Guide 11g Release 2 (11.2) for Linux
for the Minimum Operating System Requirements.
[...]
11.2.0.2 requires Oracle Linux 5 update 2 or higher
Unbreakable Enterprise Linux kernel (UEK) for x86-64 is supported with
11.2.0.2 and requires Oracle Linux Update 5 or higher.

So we have:

1. Doc ID 1304727.1 - 11.2.0.2 requires Oracle Linux 5 update 2 or higher.
2. Installation Guide: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Update 5 (only if
using Oracle Unbreakable Enterprise
Kernel)

Thanks
Dimitre