Oracle DW and AS

  • From: "Michael Fontana" <MFontana@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 14:53:50 -0400

I was just curious as to how prevalent Oracle Data Warehouse and App
Server software usage was amongst this group.  I also have some
questions as to how DW and AS are managed/configured administered, since
we just had a knockdown/dragout between the managers of reporting and
database over roles and responsibilities.

My questions are:

1 - Who does/should control Application Server installation?

2 - Configuration?

3 - Administration?

4 - Maintenance?

5 - Who does/should control the change management process?

6 - Do most companies which have Data Warehousing rely on the DBA team
for ETF function?

I realize these questions are rather broad.  I would rather start a
discussion than get a concrete answer for each.  I am sure there are
still many questions beyond these that should be asked.

As a traditional Oracle DBA, I find my skills are not where they should
be (very little system admin and web development knowledge).  Is this
something that a DBA should be directing themselves to learn?  Or is
this a development/operational function?