RE: Oracle Chargeback

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pete.sharman@xxxxxxxxxx>, <l.flatz@xxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 17:31:07 -0500

The never ending argument as old as timesharing.

A few hints toward fairness: License costs center on the number of cores
required to “solve” peak load. The “demand” charge for cpu might well be fairly
charged more than the integrated sum of all cpu at non-peak times.

Storage acreage is usually a fixed cost, but demand i/o operations may likewise
be a reasonable swag for variable cost.

It may be reasonable to roughly figure these costs without turning chargeback
on, especially if licensee cost dominates as opposed to non-peak usage.

mwf