Re: Oracle Applications Express database

  • From: Bill Ferguson <wbfergus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: JBECKSTROM@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 06:22:31 -0600

Jeffrey,

Would each of your databases have/need it's own application, or are
you envisioning one application pulling data from the others?

What is the structure of your data? Are there any longs, LOBS, etc?
Those will have an impact if you try to pull those across a database
link. If so, and only one database had them, then you'd probably want
to install Apex in that database.

If you are envisioning separate applications for the data on each
database, then each database could have Apex installed, and setup up
OAS (Application Server) to access the different applications on each
database. This would be a little bit faster, and may offer a bit more
flexibility during upgrades, patching, etc.

Using OAS, if you have it available, could also help improve your
security footprint as well, if that's an issue. If the web server gets
hacked, the hacker doesn't get automatic access to your database
machine. They'd still have to find your tnsnames.ora, DADS.conf, etc.
to see where you are redirecting them for the data.

Just a few things to think about. Overall though, you'll probably be
very pleased with what you can do with Apex. I've been using it for
around 4 or 5 years now.

--
-- Bill Ferguson