Re: Oracle 10g RAC on Linux - hardware confusion #@$!

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 07:00:26 -0400

On 06/14/2004 06:30:07 AM, Peter Miller wrote:

> The "Cluster" files need to be on shared disk system that is physically
> connected to the instance servers - is this the case?

Yes. Oracle RAC is so called "shared disk system" (in contrast to share-nothing
systems), which means that it uses disks shared by two computers. Access to
the disk is synchronized by DLM (= Distributed Lock Manager), which is a part
of oracle RAC. Also, on Linux, oracle delivers the OS mechanism for two nodes
to communicate over the private Ethernet connection.

> If so, can someone recommend a scaleable bit of hardware (preferable
> Dell) that I can use with 2+ nodes to support the database files of the
> RAC.

He is a distinguished member of this group and he used to have a good web page
at http://www.oracle-dba.com, but there is not much there these days.

I dunno about the exact HW specification, but Joe Testa once wrote that he was
working on RAC.

> If not, can someone please enlighten me.

I specialized in enlightenment.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA