Re: Optimistic locking with ora_rowscn

  • From: Tony Sequeira <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle List <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 11:53:30 +0000

David Ballester wrote:

2010/2/17 Tony Sequeira <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>

    Hi,

    I'm involved with the development of a web based application,
    which will update tables in an 11gR2 database.

    The proposal is to use a timestamp column which will be checked
    prior to an update.

    I believe that using ora_rowscn is a "better" way to do this.

    I would like to recommend that we use it instead.

    Anyone use it?  Any gotchas?

Historical data?

What's about a backup/restore, reset logs... database new incarnations, etc?

D.
Hi David,

Surely this doesn't matter, as it's a pseudo column that won't be used until the client makes an update?

However, I may be missing something, care to elucidate.

Regards.

--
S. Anthony Sequeira
++