RE: OT moment of doubt

  • From: Luis Fernando Cerri <lcerri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 16:17:16 -0300

I don't think giving another extension to dbf files would help.

An interesting story:

In my last job, the unix "administrator" girl noticed that one of the file
systems was 95% full. Searching for large files, she found a lot of 1GB ones
named standard01.dbf, standard02.dbf, etc, all owned by oracle. So, she had
the brilliant idea to (before asking anyone) compress all of them to free
the file system. Not happy enough, she called to blame me for keeping
different copies of the same 1GB file not compressed... Less than 30 seconds
after HER calling, dozens of develovers calling to ask what was happening to
their (for lucky) development environment.

Have a nice day!

Luis