Re: OT: Windows to Linux GUI

  • From: Paul Drake <bdbafh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jkstill@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 19:50:33 -0400

On 10/28/05, Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In addition to the suggestions for Cygwin and TightVNC:
>
>  Sounds like a good excuse to load up a spare PC with the linux of your
> choice.
>
>  Or use a VMWare session to run linux.
>
>  Either can be used to run the Oracle installer.
>
>  From the Xserver machine ( your linux PC )
>  use xhost to allow an X connection from the Oracle box.
>  Assuming the Oracle box is frodo
>
>  $>  xhost frodo.
>
>  use telnet or ssh to logon to the target machine.
>
>  set the DISPLAY to the Xserver (your PC - assume it is bilbo )
>  $> set DISPLAY=bilbo:0.0; export DISPLAY
>
>  $>xclock
>
>  If xclock worked, runInstaller should work.
>
>  This may be somewhat simpler if you use VNC.
>
>  HTH.
>
>  Jared

Jared,

When using the Xserver included with a recent Cygwin distro, an xhost
command is not required.

C:\cygwin\release\> cygwin.bat
pdrake@valkyrie ~
$ startx

spawns an xterm ...

$ ssh -X bdbafh@destructobox
bdbafh@destructobox's password:
Last login ...
bdbafh@destructobox ~]$ su - oracle
oracle@destructobox ~]$ cd Ora10gR1dbsvrlinx86/Disk1
oracle@destructobox ~]$ sh runInstaller

and OUI is off and running ...

Provided that you start an xserver first, then use that xterm to
connect with the "-X" switch, the xforwarding is done within the ssh
tunnel.

Paul

> On 10/26/05, Jeffrey Beckstrom <JBECKSTROM@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > We are looking at moving our databases from Windows to Linux.  I found
> Putty for accessing Linux from Windows.  However, it does not have a GUI.
> Is there a GUI client for accessing Linux from Windows XP?
> >

> > Jeffrey Beckstrom
> > Database Administrator
> > Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
> > 1240 W. 6th Street
> > Cleveland, Ohio 44113
>

> --
> Jared Still