Re: [OT[ Question for German speaking DBAs

  • From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: weblehner@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 15:01:58 -0300

Lukas,
  I'll answer your mail to the entire list as I think it opens up a point
for discussion. While I agree with you that people that manage enterprise
level software and hardware need to be able to communicate in English, I've
found (especially in Spain and France) that it isn't always the case.
Furthermore while for professional intereaction German may not be strictly
needed. I think speaking german fluently and being able to explain
technical concepts to non-technical people *in german* may give me an
advantage over other foreign DBAs applying for the same job. It's all a
matter of maximizing my changes of landing a good job I can keep for a few
decades :P

  I'm by far not a developer (unless APEX counts), but I'll give that forum
a look, thanks!

  Oh, and I won't learn german from pr0n since I already know how to agree
and I don't intend to invoke a deity (though come to think of it...
sometimes it might be useful)... and I am pursuing other means of learning
like musik and reading, but the idea behind this question was to learn
technical database in general and oracle in particular related vocabulary.

Thanks everyone for your answers ;-)

Cheers
Alan.-