OT: External table novelties

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 23:22:50 +0100

Dear list,

Due to a presentation I have promised to give, I am gathering ideas
on novel uses for external tables.

I already have 2 good examples to work with, but it would be nice to
have some more to work with.

What I already have:

Using external tables to muck about with the alert.log and trace files.

See http://www.dbazine.com/still1.shtml if interested in that.

Along similar lines is using external tables to read trace files.  There's
a bit of a twist to that one though, as the trace files have extra markers
in them, and the SQL to query them uses analytic functions to group
the data.

So, any other novel uses I should consider?

Thanks,

Jared