RE: ORACLE on mainframe compare to UNIX /linux server?

  • From: "Nelson, Allan" <anelson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 08:30:35 -0500

I have only a little bit of experience in this world, but in the hope
that it is helpful...  compatibility at the functional level is good.
The big problems were how disks are organized in the MF world and
resource control through JCL.  There are a lot of differences between
Unix and MVS or VM or whatever.  Read the concepts manual for the OS you
intend to implement on.

Be prepared to benchmark a lot.  You will, IMO, almost inevitably carry
assumptions over from UNIX that don't apply on the mainframe.  I never
did quite figure out how the semaphore/shared memory model in UNIX
mapped to the mainframe.

Some cons:

Oracle Support Analysts will have little or no imformation about
platform specific issues.
New Oracle releases on this platform lag other platforms.
You are in an environment where most of the significant systems people
have died, retired, or retrained.

A pro:
If you have enough money, you can buy one really, really big box.

I know this is very generic commentary, but you did not provide much in
the way of detail.

Allan