Re: ORA-4030

  • From: Jared.Still@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 13:45:31 -0800

Hi Lisa,
This sounds very similar to a recent discussion on this list.

I believe that the temporary solution was to go back to using
sort_area_size, though I could have it wrong.

Try searching the archives as fatcity.com and freelists.org.

Jared

"Koivu, Lisa" <Lisa.Koivu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 02/06/2004 01:38 PM
 Please respond to oracle-l

        To:     <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        cc:
        Subject:        ORA-4030

Hi everyone,=20

9204, Windows 2003 Enterprise

ORA-04030: out of process memory when trying to allocate 49676 bytes
(hash-join subh,kllcqas:kllsltba)

What fun. Yes, I know this means it is out of memory. I know that hash
joins are memory-intensive.  I want to allow the db to utilize more
memory.  Using hash joins speeds up the data loads.

I have pga_aggregate_target set to 900m (due to a bug).  I decreased the
amount of memory allocated to the sga and the db block buffers as
indicated in note 116076.1.  Yes I know it's about NT, but I'm grasping
here.=20

I watched the memory allocation ramp up on the server while Informatica
was running.  It gets to around 2.1, 2.2 gb and doesn't go any farther.
Jobs begin failing.=20

Our sysadmin says there's no problem with w2003E addressing more than
2GB contiguous memory, like the note says.  However, the behavior was
pretty suspect. =20

Any windows people that can point me in the right direction? =20

This was brought on by setting the optimizer_goal for this user to
choose.  We set it back to first_rows and this error does not occur.
This makes sense to me, however I really want to see the db use
available resources instead of barf.

Lisa Koivu
Senior DBA, yea right
Orlando, FL, USA

"The sender believes that this E-Mail and any attachments were free of =
any virus, worm, Trojan horse, and/or malicious code when sent. This =
message and its attachments could have been infected during =
transmission.  By reading the message and opening any attachments, the =
recipient accepts full responsibility for taking proactive and remedial =
action about viruses and other defects. The sender's business entity is =
not liable for any loss or damage arising in any way from this message =
or its attachments."