Re: ORA-12083: must use DROP MATERIALIZED VIEW

  • From: Thomas Day <tday6@xxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 07:51:29 -0400

Yep.  That's the trick.  I recreated the snapshot using a 'where 1=0'
clause, dropped the snapshot, and was then able to drop the table.  It also
unregistered it on the master site.  Thanks.

                      "Jay Hostetter"

                      <jhostetter              To:      Thomas
Day/CIV/SC/CSC@CSC, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      @decommunication         cc:

                      s.com>                   Subject: Re: ORA-12083: must use
DROP MATERIALIZED VIEW

                      05/10/2004 03:46

                      PM

Recreate the mview using the prebuilt table option, then try dropping the
mview again.

create materialized view test on prebuilt table as select ... ;
drop materialized view test;

I ran into this one time.  I forget if it was a bug or if my db link was
down.  In any case I ended up with the quandary that you are in.

Jay

>>> tday6@xxxxxxx 05/10/04 09:13AM >>>

I have a snapshot that I dropped; however, it left the table.

When I query DBA_SNAPSHOTS the materialized view is not included.  When I
query DBA_OBJECTS it shows that the object is present as a table.

When I try to drop the table it gives "ORA-12083: must use DROP
MATERIALIZED VIEW ..." .  When I try to drop the materialized view it gives
"ORA-12003: materialized view 'xxxx' does not exist".  When I try to rename
it it gives "ORA-32318: cannot rename a materialized view"

Any thoughts?

**DISCLAIMER
This e-mail message and any files transmitted with it are intended for the
use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed and may contain
information that is privileged, proprietary and confidential. If you are
not the intended recipient, you may not use, copy or disclose to anyone the
message or any information contained in the message. If you have received
this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete this
e-mail message. The contents do not represent the opinion of D&E except to
the extent that it relates to their official business.