RE: ORA-01159 during controlfile recreate ?

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 10:53:24 -0400

1) I think you mean to write "test database" where you write "test
instance." I'm not really sure what a test instance would be, but it would
not involve copying database files, just constructing an environment to
start up an Oracle instance on the database files.

2) When and how did you perform the rename database command? Did you just
set a different database name? Then all the old files are your old database
name, but the one file create controlfile added has the new database name
(which it then immediately does not like because it is different from the
others.)

3) I've always found database rename simpler to execute using backup control
file to trace and editting the text file. You're trying to get create
controlfile to create an emergency replacement control file AND rename the
database in one step.

4) I'd investigate what the deal is with the missing file in the original
database. Is it just an offline tablespace you don't really need?

Good luck. I hope I didn't misinterpret your evidence given this partial top
of my head guess at what is going on.

mwf