OEM GC High Availability and Downtime

  • From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l-freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 11:55:09 -0300

List,

   We are implementing GC for database monitoring for over 2500 databases,
however there is concern of the possible downtimes of Grid, during which the
databases will not be monitored.

   I can think of two possible scenarios:

1) Planned outage: in order to apply a patch, the entire OEM needs to be
shut down.
2) Emergency outage: Media Failure, Hardware Failure, Power Failure, Oracle
Bug, etc.

   The HA strategy is having several OMS across different locations (three,
actually) however I am concerned about the repository.

    It is very unlikely that an emergency outage will affect all three OMS,
however it might affect the repository... and the planned outage in several
situations will require a full shutdown of all OMS, Agents and Repository.

    My question is: have you ever dealt with this issue? How did you solve
it? did you just accept the outage? did you find an alternative?

TIA
Alan.-