RE: ODBC

  • From: "Justin Cave (DDBC)" <jcave@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 15:42:10 -0700

In what context is performance bad?  And what are we comparing the performance
to?

In general, there are two strikes (performance-wise) against ODBC and Oracle.
First, ODBC is a "least common denominator" API, so it is designed to only
support functionality that every database in the world supports.  It tends to
make it difficult or impossible to take advantage of many Oracle-specific
features which may tend to improve performance.  Second, ODBC was designed by
Microsoft, so ODBC was designed to work the way SQL Server works.  There are a
number of components of the ODBC API that require Oracle to do extra work under
the covers in order to simulate functionality that SQL Server has by default
(Microsoft would have similar problems if Oracle wrote the API) and a couple of
cases where I would wager that Microsoft specifically designed a feature to be
as hard as possible for Oracle to implement.

Justin Cave
Distributed Database Consulting, Inc.
http://www.ddbcinc.com/askDDBC