Re: Network monitoring tools

  • From: Ray Stell <stellr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ron Rogers <RROGERS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 13:05:55 -0400

I assume you do not have network admin support or you wouldn't be
here.  You really need to have your network admin on board with you,
period.  They have the snmp community stings and network element
passwds.  You will need them.

You can look at your interfaces for free:

$ netstat -i
Kernel Interface table
Iface       MTU Met    RX-OK RX-ERR RX-DRP RX-OVR    TX-OK TX-ERR TX-DRP TX-OVR
Flg
eth0       1500   0  2904082      0      0      0   824105      0      0      0
BMRU
lo        16436   0     1194      0      0      0     1194      0      0      0

but you need to locate where in the lan the bottleneck is.  For that
you can do similar commands along the way in network elements, for free, to find
where the drops/errors are.  Scripted snmp queries will catch problems
faster then cli logins, however.  I use scotty, a tcl extention to rip
these adhoc jobs out.  Perl/java have many similar freebees.

For money, and at the enterprise level, there are tons of great tools.  We are
particually taken with SMARTS/InCharge: www.smarts.com (emc bought them
recently).  The winning feature here it that it does root cause analysis of
problems...very cool!

On Wed, Aug 03, 2005 at 11:01:52AM -0400, Ron Rogers wrote:
> List,
>  We experience network slow downs from time to time that have the database
> users complaining.
>  Our network is a NOVELL network connecting to a Linux server/ Oracle 10g.
> What type of equipment/software do you use to help detect what might be
> causing the network slow down?
>  We have proven that it is network related because the non database users
> also complain at the same time.
>
> Thanks,
> Ron
>
> --
> //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l
Ray Stell  stellr@xxxxxx  (540) 231-4109  Tempus fugit  28^D
My Bunji Jumping Instructor - Hugo First