Need to convert database characterset from WE8ISO8859P1 TO AL32UTF8

  • From: "Sandeep Dubey" <dubey.sandeep@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 12:52:32 -0500

Hi all

Platofrm: Oracle 10.2 on Linux 2.4

I need to convert database characterset from WE8ISO8859P1 TO AL32UTF8.
Following is a part of csscan output. Some application data is
convertible. I have blob data in the application. It is nowhere
reported whether it is covertinble or changless in the csscan output
scan.txt file.

Can I safely convert the database using csalter script? If yes, what
will happen to application data in Convertible column?

Or I must use export import? Problem is our production database export
and import will take over 24 hours and we can not take that much down
time.

-- partial output from scan.txt file----------

The data dictionary can be safely migrated using the CSALTER script

[Application Data Conversion Summary]

Datatype         Changeless      Convertible       Truncation            Lossy
--------------------- ---------------- ----------------
---------------- ----------------
VARCHAR2      3,059,688            7,312                0                0
CHAR                 244,835                0                0                0
LONG                           0                0                0
          0
CLOB                            0                0                0
           0
VARRAY                       0                0                0
        0
--------------------- ---------------- ----------------
---------------- ----------------
Total                        3,304,523            7,312
0                0
Total in percentage             99.779%           0.221%
0.000%           0.000%

[Distribution of Convertible, Truncated and Lossy Data by Table]

USER.TABLE                                 Convertible       Truncation    Lossy
APMS_MASTER.CUSTODIAN_INFOS             3                0                0
APMS_MASTER.DRUG_DESCRIPTIONS      1,270                0             0

Thanks

Sandeep