Need advice on import with auto undo

  • From: Michael Ray <topshot.rhit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 21:21:52 -0500

I'm used to the old (8i) way of handling rollback. Oracle seems to be
pushing automatic undo management (AUM) so I get an undo tablespace
when I create a 10g starter database to dump my import into.

Normally, I'd create a single large rollback to do the import. From
Note:135090.1 I see that "Having several UNDO tablespaces available in
the database provides the possibility to switch and use a different
tablespace with smaller or larger global size for different purposes
of usage, such as OLTP, BATCH." This makes it sound like I can create
a large Undo tbs and activate it for the import and switch back when
done. My dump file is 11+ GB so I'd need one a bit larger I'd guess.

I was also wondering if I could tweak the undo_retention init
parameter. It has been using the default (900?) so far, which doesn't
seem to be very friendly for imports. How low can it be set? My main
goal is to minimize import time.

I suppose if all else fails, I can use my own create db script, do the
import the old fashioned way and then worry about converting to AUM
afterward.

Shalom,
Michael Ray