Nasty ORA 4030 in 11.2.0.3.5 using text index

  • From: John Hurley <hurleyjohnb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 08:03:19 -0700 (PDT)

I had a batch program chew up 16 gb of PGA and run for extended time doing
updates to ( my only ) table that has a text index on it ( customer last name )
... used for "soundex" lookups.

Apparently Oracle has had a fix identified and available from August 2012 that
( somehow ) they have not seen as important enough to include in last several
rounds of database PSU's.  Wow ... thanks so much Oracle support!

Looks like the bug / 4030 will only hit things that do large numbers of changes
( inserts also ? dunno ) to text index column ... but still ... not happy here.

Problem Key
ORA-4030
[404008]
[druhopen:hash]
[druhopen:hash table]

Testing of the fix one-off looks ok so far and again ... found a while back (
p14367567_112030_Linux-x86-64.zip ).

The following are the bugs fixed by this patch:
  14367567: EXCESSIVE PGA MEMORY GROWTH LEADING TO HIGH SWAPPING AND
PERFORMANCE IMPACTS