Re: Multiple Homes on Windows

  • From: Connor McDonald <hamcdc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 01:34:46 +0000 (GMT)

Whilst trying to get scripted installs to work, I had dozens of Oracle homes
for different
versions on a single PC - no problems except if memory serves some environment
vars (PATH being
the obvious one) "looked" OK, but had reached some limit (256 chars?) and so
some things went
astray

hth
connor

 --- Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: > Every new Oracle
install prepends its
oracle_home\bin directory and
> nowadays it java_home\bin to the path so that would be a different order
> than usual.
> I always remove them and have an oraenv.cmd to "augment" the path and set
> oracle_home and sid to the correct values when I need them, much like the
> oraenv on unix.
>
> Other than that, I am no aware of any problems, although I have only ever
> installed them in the order Oracle8 - Oracle9.
>
> At 07:59 AM 2/23/2004, you wrote:
> >I'm about to reinstall 8.1.7 on this work laptop which already has a
> >9.2.0.4 instance on it. Has anyone installed these two products in this
> >order? If so are there any gotchas that I should be aware of. I may also
> >put 9.0.1 back on as well, but that will be a different story.
> >
> >Niall
> >

> >**********************************************************************
> >This email contains information intended for
> >the addressee only.  It may be confidential
> >and may be the subject of legal and/or
> >professional privilege.  Any dissemination,
> >distribution, copyright or use of this
> >communication without prior permission of
> >the sender is strictly prohibited.
>
> Wolfgang Breitling
> Oracle7, 8, 8i, 9i OCP DBA
> Centrex Consulting Corporation
> http://www.centrexcc.com

=====
Connor McDonald
Co-author: "Mastering Oracle PL/SQL - Practical Solutions" - available now
web: http://www.oracledba.co.uk
web: http://www.oaktable.net
email: connor_mcdonald@xxxxxxxxx

"GIVE a man a fish and he will eat for a day. But TEACH him how to fish,
and...he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"