Multi-language support

  • From: "Mercadante, Thomas F" <thomas.mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle L (E-mail)" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 15:43:51 -0500

All,

I need to support the entry and display of multiple languages from the
database (9.2.0.4 on IBM AIX).  I created the database with the AL32UTF8
character set (which supports American, Russian, Spanish & French).

We tried entering Russian text.  We think it is entered ok - one of the
developers says it shows up as Russian characters.

But I can't display the correct character set on my screen.  I tried setting
the NLS_LANG environmental both in Unix and on my desktop.

From my desktop, I get ??? from the database column where the russian data
is stored.  And when I select to_char(sysdate,'month') from dual, I get
gibberish characters back.  It looks like it is trying to translate the
chars to something, but it's lost.

On Unix,

I get similar results.  Nothing that looks like Russian characters to me.

Anybody done this successfully?

Thanks,

Thomas Mercadante

5-9248