RE: Multi-core FAQ (new) (wrt Oracle database server software licensing)

  • From: "Matthew Zito" <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Andrew.Kerber@xxxxxxx>, <bdbafh@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 18:19:26 -0500

It is!  It is, whether we like it or not.  I tend to take informal polls when
I'm speaking at conferences and user groups, and I'm averaging about 50-75% of
attendees are piloting or implementing virtualization.  And at least two large
companies I've met with over the past few weeks are making their new
infrastructure entirely virtualized - one of them rolling out around 1,000
physical servers they expect to support around 6k virtual machines for one
particular business unit.

With people averaging 5:1 to 10:1 virtual to physical ratios, there are cost
savings there that are unmistakeable.

Thanks,
Matt

--