Moving Oracle server from HPUX/Solaris to AIX

  • From: "Jesse, Rich" <Rich.Jesse@xxxxxx>
  • To: "ORACLE-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 16:22:32 -0500

Hey all,

The hammer has fallen and I've just been told that our ERP system's DB
will be AIX.  We're currently on HPUX, with several other DBs on
Solaris, and I've never even logged into an AIX box (I can barely spell
it).  So, I'm trying to get a head start before the hardware's even
ordered by doing some homework.  And what better place to start than
here?  :)  I have a few questions:

1) How far behind Solaris are Oracle releases/fixes on AIX or are they
behind at all?  I seem to remember that AIX was second or third tier,
but haven't been able to find anything on oracle.com or google.

2) Any good links to subtleties betwixt Solaris and/or HPUX, and AIX?
Goofy but helpful stuff like "Solaris likes putting files in /var, HPUX
in /etc".  Web links I've found (including one on IBM) are slightly
dated, comparing Solaris 8 to AIX 4 and sometimes 5.2.  We're probably
going with 5.3.

3) Any gotchas for Oracle management?  Without bloating this post with
too many specifics, I would hope bash and the standard Unix utils needed
for Oracle management scripts like hotbacks and log checkers would be
available.  Memory managemnt like semaphores and kernel parms I would
assume would be tunable in any decent Unix...

Thoughts?  Thx!
Rich