Re: Most popular OS for Oracle RDBMS

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: neil_chandler@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 18:36:26 +0000

The figures I've been able to dig up for market share for my presentation
next week (a mix of Gartner, MS and Oracle sources)  suggest that Windows
accounted for about 35% of Oracle RDBMS License revenue in 2007. (and had
likely close to 40% of the windows rdbms market overall). If anyone has
stumped up the $3500 that the IDC review costs (
http://www.idc.com/research/view_lot.jsp?containerId=224350) I'd love to see
a couple of those tables :), so by sales volume Windows is, or at least has
been, significant, but likely not the most popular. By installation count it
may well be. My guess is that Oracle's share of the windows database market
has slid somewhat since the release of SQL 2008 though.

On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 5:36 PM, Neil Chandler <neil_chandler@xxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> I seem to recall from the UKOUG that >50% is on windows.
>
> Neil.
> sent from my phone
>
> On 23 Nov 2010, at 08:46, przemolicc@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > does anybody know any data (or survey) which shows percentage what are
> the most popular
> > operating systems (Solaris, AIX, Linux, ...) on which Oracle RDBMS is
> deployed ?
> >
> > Regards
> > Przemyslaw Bak (przemol)

> > Duzi chlopcy lubia wampiry i krew.