Re: More Ammo Against Dynamic SQL?

  • From: Michael Fontana <michael.fontana@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rgravens@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 11:04:48 -0600 (CST)

Very clever, Rumpi.   Using an oracle product against my argument.  Good
choice, too, since I've worked with developers who use this tool.  What's also
good about your choice is that it actually can design and build a data model on
the fly.  I wonder how many enterprise-scale applications are running with
APEX?  I hope not too many.  I don't know if it was intended for this purpose.

However, were the database and application properly designed to begin with, a
case could be made that the existing stored business rules
objects would be referenced, rather than generating ad-hoc or dynamic SQL.

I do understand your reasoning.  In the absence of such proper design, and
those with the time and skills to do so, it is very tempting and inviting to
skip such activities when a code-generating tool is available (not to mention
good money having been spent on it).  I still say that such tools, left
uncontrolled, will wreak havoc and are ultimately not scaleable.  This would be
especially true with a successful web app.